Any talk about the fitness of the body is incomplete without including the component of flexibility. The progress in technology has made our life comfortable but it has also limited physical work which has resulted in the emergence of various lifestyle diseases. One common problem which people face nowadays is numbness and pain in legs when they sit for 3-4 hours at a stretch. Out of all the large muscles in our body, leg muscles are one of the most significant ones. Doing leg workouts do not only benefits your legs rather it also has positive effects on the release of growth hormones and metabolism of the body. Stronger legs also enable greater endurance during workouts. The flexibility of legs can be achieved faster by following some exercises along with consumption of flexibility enhancing diets.
Exercises for leg flexibility
- Walking and Stationary Cycling: Walking and stationary cycling are the simplest set of exercises for your leg flexibility. Though the impact of these two exercises is slow, the key point is that they are non-tiring and are good for beginners.
- Hamstring Stretch: The muscles between thigh to the knee at the back of your upper leg are called hamstrings. These muscles help you in hip movement and knee strength. We will take a look at 2 common and easy hamstring stretches for improving leg flexibility here.
- a) Standing Hamstring Stretch: For this, you need a stool or table with an approximate height of 2 feet. In absence of a stool or table, you can use any other rigid object of similar height. Keep one foot on the ground while the other on stool/table. The foot which you place on stool/table must not be bent more than 15 degrees at the knee joint. Now while keeping your back straight, lean down towards the foot which you had placed on stool/table and try to hold the feet. Remain at this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute and then repeat the process with another leg too. Keep on doing this stretch with alternate legs for 15-20 minutes per day.
- b) Seated Hamstring Stretch: Take a chair and sit on the edge of that chair with your one leg bent on the ground while the other leg is stretched out as straight as possible. While keeping your back straight and head up, bend forwards until you feel stretch in your thigh. Remain at this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Now repeat this same process with another leg also. Do this stretch with alternate legs for 15-20 minutes per day.
However while doing exercises for leg flexibility, do not try to put much stress if you are not comfortable. The ideal way for doing the above-mentioned exercises is to start it slow and then increase it gradually.
Diet for flexibility
There are certain diets too which help you in getting flexible. These diets with not only help you in getting your leg flexible, instead it will help in the entire flexibility of your body.
- Oranges: Oranges contain Vitamin C which is an essential element for making a network of our connective tissues. Also, it helps in maintaining the strength of your joints.
- Ginger: Taking ginger in your diet can help in achieving flexibility because it stimulates the circulatory system. It is also used in natural treatments for inflammation of joints.
- Avocados: Omega 3’s have been found to assist in joint mobility and Avocados are a natural plant based source of Omega-3, hence eating Avocados help in flexibility.
By following the above-given tips, you can improve your leg flexibility and can also have several associated benefits on your body.